Celebrating Bossa Nova
The story might seem familiar to some: Brazilian singer meets U.S. musician, fall in love and create music. That is what happened in 2000, when Andrea Moraes moved from Rio de Janeiro to St. Petersburg, Florida. Two years later, she married David Manson. An architect by trade, Andrea possesses a naturally pleasing voice just made for Bossa Nova singing. Though reluctant to perform as a singer at first, Andrea gave in and joined O Som do Jazz as its main vocalist for Infinita Bossa, an album that proudly celebrates 50 years of Bossa Nova.
As David says, with their “admiration of Elis Regina, Zimbo and Tamba Trios,” O Som do Jazz brings to Florida’s Tampa Bay area a little bit of Brazil. In addition to Andrea (vocals) and David (trombone, arrangements), O Som do Jazz is Roberto Bertone (drums), Ademar Fonseca (bass), Régis Moreira (keyboards), Jeremy Powell (sax), Alfredo Rivero (guitar) and John Ward (flute). With a classic repertoire of Bossa Nova music, the group does not shy away from expanding that horizon and including more contemporary bossas by Antônio Carlos & Jocafi, Djavan and Pedro Caetano among giants Tom Jobim, Vinícius de Moraes, Carlos Lyra, Marcos Valle, Baden Powell, Luiz Bonfá. There is even an original by David Manson showing the group’s true affinity to Brazilian Bossa Nova. WIth simple arrangements and a good mixture of solos exhibiting the fine musicians in the group, Infinita Bossa is a nice collection that praises Bossa Nova and its haunting melodies and soothing sounds. Even Rita Lee’s pop “Caso Sério” is treated here to an acoustic guitar and voice rendition.
To learn more about the artist and hear samples from this album, please visit O Som do Jazz & Andrea Moraes Manson.
O Som do Jazz & Andrea Moraes Manson
Isospin Labs iso-42060 (2008)
Total time: 56’16”
- Ela É Carioca (Tom Jobim – Vinícius de Moraes)
- Brigas Nunca Mais (Tom Jobim – Vinícius de Moraes)
- Batucada Surgiu (Marcos Valle)
- Lobo Bobo (Carlos Lyra – Ronaldo Bôscoli)
- Berimbau (Baden Powell – Vinícius de Moraes)
- Caso Sério (Rita Lee – Roberto de Carvalho)
- Influência do Jazz (Carlos Lyra)
- Noa Noa (Sérgio Mendes)
- Deixa (Baden Powell – Vinícius de Moraes)
- Corcovado (Tom Jobim – Vinícius de Moraes)
- Você e Eu (Carlos Lyra – Vinícius de Moraes)
- Manhã de Carnaval (Luiz Bonfá – Antonio Maria)
- Sea & Salt (David Manson)
- Flor de Lis (Djavan)
- Você Abusou (Antônio Carlos – Jocafi)
- É Com Esse Que Eu Vou (Pedro Caetano)